image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Love the gift more than the giver?

People do not seek God. They seek after the benefits that only God can give them.

The sin of fallen man is this: Man seeks the benefits of God while at the same time fleeing from God himself.

We are, by nature, fugitives. —R.C. Sproul

gift_or_giverAs long as the gifts are coming, the compliments are oozing, the words are flattering, we are easily satisfied with the relationship.

Often it’s not until those are removed that we see the relationship for what it is. Can it hold steady when the blessings are thin? Is it still solid when it’s naked, stripped of all its pretties?

I don’t want to be a fugitive from God. I don’t want to sneak up to his doorstep to grab the gifts, then turn around and run before he catches me.

I don’t want to be so enthralled with his gifts that I forget to be enthralled with the Giver.

He is the main thing. His blessings are only icing on the cake.

Relationship counts most.
Easy to say.
How hard is it to do?

* * * 

Do you find it harder to love when the blessings are less obvious? Related:

14 comments:

Renee said...

So very true...Blessings, Lisa..

Susan said...

Wonderful post and TRUTH!! Sproul is a favorite of mine.

Thanks for visiting my blog and praying for my daughter, Suzette. God bless you.

I love your "about me"!!!

Lisa said...

We must learn to seek His face and not just His hand. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sis. I agree with the comments above. Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Joan Hall said...

Oh yes, it's easy when those gifts are coming - when they don't we wonder "where are you God."

Great post, Lisa

Vintagesouthernlife said...

sooo true. Great post.

Saleslady371 said...

How wise your words "I rather relationship with the giver and not only the gifts!" He's most important. Great perspective!

Mevely317 said...

I really, really enjoyed this, Lisa!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is so right on. I feel the strongest...the most confident, the safest and the happiest when I'm close to Him...all the other things.."icing on the cake.'

Donnie said...

Such lovely comments and your post was spot on for a lot of us. thanks.

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Thanks for making us think. I, too, do not want to be guilty of that. I want to seek Him in the sunshine so that when the storm comes, I am already enfolded within His robe.

Charlotte said...

What a thought provoking post. It is so sad when people only want God for what he can do for them. It must make him very sad.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

People use people so they can think they can get away from using God as well. It makes me sad to even think that this happens.
Blessings,
Ginger

Janet said...

The dry times can be good for this reason -- they show what the relationship is really made of. Thanks for the encouragement!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails