image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Summer Freedom (Friday’s Fave Five)

friday's fave five I love summer!

So my Friday’s Fave Five list this week includes 5 of my favorite freedoms of the summer. Go to Living to Tell the Story to read others’ favorites from this week.

1. Freedom from cold
I love heat. Okay, so heat indices over 99 degrees this week may be a little over the top, but I still prefer 99 to 33 degrees. I’d rather sweat than shiver.

2.  Freedom from homeschool
...but not from the planning, which is my favorite part anyway. I like scheduling out each subject (although I haven’t done it yet, and it’s time!), making out the school calendar to fit our family, and the most fun: buying school supplies. Paper, notebooks, pens—the office supply aisle is always the best

3. Freedom from the kitchen
Fire up the grill, baby.
Jeff likes to grill out in the summer. I like for Jeff to grill out in the summer. Win-win.

4. Freedom from routine
Don’t get me wrong—I’m the queen of scheduling. Managers of Their Homes and FlyLady rocked my world to the core when I first discovered their validation and refinement of my scheduling habits.

But I love the extra EMPTY blocks of time I can schedule in the summer months then fill back in with things I don’t get to do as often during the school year. I’m all about open spaces, even if they’re scheduled.

5. Freedom from heavy clothes
Shorts and t-shirts and bare feet
—is there any outfit more comfy than that? Good-bye for a season to long pants and double shirts and socks and shoes. (See # 1)

* * * * *
Free. It’s the way we’re meant to live in the eternal kingdom. I want to treasure it and give God glory in it. What a priceless gift—in the summers, on Fridays, in this moment.

Out of my distress I called on the LORD; the LORD answered me and set me free. Psalm 118:5

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. 1 Peter 2:16

10 comments:

Jerralea said...

Great post, Lisa! And I agree with everything you said ... well except for sweating. I do not like to sweat. I always say that I like cooler weather better than hot, because you can always put on more clothes if you're cold, but there is only so much you can take off if you're hot.

I love to organize and schedule, too, that's why I'm a flybaby!

Brenda said...

I too love the freedom from heavy clothes. Flipflops, shorts and tank tops make summer wonderful :)

Barbara H. said...

What a great list -- with a theme, even!

I always loved getting supplies for school -- fresh new notebooks and such -- and getting them all ready.

I love the freedom of summer days, too, though usually by school time I am ready to get back into a routine -- though not ready for the busyness.

Love the verses on freedom!

Pamela said...

Great list but I have to agree with Jerralea - there's a limit to what you can take off!

Karyn said...

I think my favorite part of homeschooling was always the planning stages, too. I spent at least a month of my summer plotting out the next year and buying new books and school supplies. I'm with you on that being a blessing. (Although I'm not sorry that it is no longer part of my summer)

I love your theme of FREEDOM.

Marg said...

I can tell that you are ready just to have some downtime. I love the way you wove your theme throughout your blog.
Thanks for visiting and enjoy your Freedom.

Marg said...

Oops! Sometimes freedom can also mean having some change rather than too much routine and by Sept, we'll all be looking for routine again.
Enjoy!

Willow said...

Enjoyed your faves this week. I'm enjoying my freedom from the morning routine too. When I homeschooled I loved the choosing the curriculum and books part, too.

Have a great weekend!

Susanne said...

Being a Canadian gal close to the Rocky Mountains I melt at the thought of 99* and over. Rarely do we experience it quite that hot. The 70* is where this girl likes it. Still shorts and tshirt weather but not melting into a big puddle weather.

Even with my dayhome we are enjoying a looser schedule. No kids that have to out the door to school at any certain time makes for a much more relaxed, go with the flow day. Love it!

Deanna said...

Oh I'm loving summer too. I am a Flylady flunky. I tried it and even shined my sink once about 7 years ago when it was all the rage on the mom site I used to visit. But alas, there is often a big pile of dishes in the sink as we rush off to the park or story time...dishes can wait, fun comes first in this house. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails