image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Where’s your place in the circle?

friday fave five spring I see a thread in my Friday Fave Five this week. Young, old. Beginnings, endings. A circle—God breathes life into it and sustains its going round and round. He holds it steady by his presence at the center.

1. Kids love babies
(watching 7-yr-olds and ducks)
ducks with 2nd gradeMy daughter took her ducklings to a friend’s class on Tuesday. The kids couldn’t keep their hands off the ducks. God inbred it in us. We’re drawn to the young, whether human or animal. Don’t resist.

2. Older people love babies
(watching my mom and ducks)
After the school trip, we took the ducks to my parents. As my mom progresses, I see her innate love for babies gain strength. I thank God that Mama has a sweet nature as the foundation of her personality. What would be the base of mine, if social niceties were stripped away? A scary thought. Lord, I depend on your grace.

3. Used books and aging children
Watching the moms gather around the tables of used books at our homeschool book sale yesterday was quite satisfying. It’s the first year I sold more books than I bought. But isn’t that yet another sign that I’m in the countdown of active parenting years? Yes. It’s bittersweet.

4. New gifts and young brides
Last night my high school daughter went with me to a lingerie shower for a church friend. (It was quite tame. Whew.) I want her to understand that within God’s design, marriage is a blast and meant to be enjoyed. Great things are worth waiting for. The Lord does reward.

5. The Parents’ Room
My daughter’s pediatric dentist moved to a new location. With 3 separate waiting rooms. One for rambunctious kids, one for TV addicts, and one for quiet parents. I chose Door # 3 yesterday and when it closed behind me, it was a Calgon-take-me-away moment. Silence. Except for the pages turning in my book. And the dad who went to sleep in the chair beside me who woke himself up with a snort. I’ll go back to visit soon—with or without an appointment.

Each of us has a place in the circle. I take advice from the elderly; I give advice to the younger. As I exit one stage, I step onto a new one. On and on. This is my place. Where is yours?

8 comments:

Jerralea said...

What an interesting thought: " I thank God that Mama has a sweet nature as the foundation of her personality. What would be the base of mine, if social niceties were stripped away?" Time for some soul searching ...

I think you're right about kids loving babies. They are just drawn to them.

Jenna said...

wow! that's very interesting!

Lisa notes... said...

Jerralea: I often wonder if Alzheimer's strikes me some day if I will be nothing but a grouchy old woman at my core. I pray that I'd be a sweet little ol' lady, but I'm not sure...

Jenna: You're the one that would be stuck with me. You better be praying, too. :-)

~ Lisa (Mom)

Anonymous said...

I just love the way you worded and presented this. Great fave five!

I have never heard of separate waiting rooms like that, but that's wonderful! Wish every waiting room had those options!

Willow said...

I think children love all babies. My first graders make this 'ooh/aww' sound whenever they see babies of any kind. It's so cute.

#2-- I too hope if my life ends in memory loss, I will be like your mom--sweet. What a life lesson for us all.

Susanne said...

In my dayhome all the kids love the babies. That is until the baby is wailing about something and then it's funny how quickly the older ones disappear. LOL.

Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady.

Young Wife said...

You sound like a wonderful mother and daughter. I love used book sales!

Lisa notes... said...

I also love e-bay! :-) My biology book set that didn't sell at the used book sale has sold on e-bay today.

As long as it leaves the house one way or another...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails