image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

The [expanded] Bible: A review

Another new Bible? Yes.

the expanded bible new testament If you’re looking to buy a new Bible this year, save yourself some money. You can try New Testament: The [expanded] Bible for free from Thomas Nelson Publishers.

If you like it, go to your favorite bookstore or on-line source on August 11, 2009, and buy the hardcopy. Watch a video here about it.

Because I like using a different version each time I read through the Bible, I’m happy to try The [expanded] Bible. Seeing a little different wording catches my eye and my heart on scriptures that I might otherwise gloss over from common usage.

The primary difference this Bible offers? Its tagline states it well: “Study the Bible while you read.” And that’s precisely its best feature to me—the notes included in line with the text.

Excerpt

I’m in the gospels right now, so here’s an excerpt from The [expanded] Bible that I read last Friday:

luke 5_12_expanded_Bible

Likes:


1. Alternative phrases and words are included in line with the text, instead of footnoted in a margin. Seeing the various possibilities of how a phrase could be translated adds richness to my understanding (similar to The Amplified Bible).

2. Direct cross-references are also included in the text itself. You’ll immediately see the reference and know where the quote came from.

3. Short cultural and historical comments are also incorporated as you read. No flipping pages or using dictionaries.

4. The main text appears in bold-faced typed, while the extra information is bracketed in lighter type. So if you want to skip all the study notes, you can read just the scripture itself by following the bold print.

Dislikes:


1. The base text is taken from the New Century Version, which is easy to read, but is a meaning-based translation, thus not as accurate as more literal translations, such as my personal favorite, the English Standard Version. So I read both together when I have a question or when my goal is to study instead of just read.

2. If you’re compelled to read every word in the text (which I can’t help but do), it takes longer to read a chapter.

3. Because I’m reading the pdf version, it’s a little time-consuming to navigate. The sidebar does include a Table of Contents for a quick click to the beginning of each book of the New Testament. But my daily reading plan keeps me hopping through different books each week, so it takes me a minute to scroll to my appropriate chapter.

Thomas Nelson

Kudos to Thomas Nelson Publishers for making this free offer. The more I learn about them (they’re the largest Christian publishing company in the world), the more impressed I am. They’re willing to take innovative risks to maintain viability in the changing digital world. I follow their CEO, Michael Hyatt, on Twitter and read his daily blog. I’m always learning something interesting (he’s a techno-geek as well as a booklover).

Bottom line: a thumbs-up for this Bible. Check it out for yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails