image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Black Friday

Black Friday shoppersToday has a reputation: the biggest shopping day of the year. Even though it’s not true (the Saturday before Christmas always has more sales), Black Friday probably does win the award for most shopping traffic. That’s why I’m at home today.

Plus, I hate shopping.
And I hate the discontent that it breeds.

That’s not to say that I’m above it. I have to fight the battles against culture accumulation like everybody else. I have to limit what false pretties my eyes look upon so that they don’t stamp themselves onto an elusive wish list in my head.

But I’ve found that throwing out sales fliers and rationing HGTV does not make me feel deprived. I feel no regrets or losses from not being on the cutting edge of fashion or decor. Wasting time on chasing pleasures that fade isn’t much of a sacrifice when there’s a more exquisite Sight to behold and richer Treasures to revel in.

I want my contentment to come from Christ. I want to be satisfied with his sustenance. I want my deepest fulfillment to be from God’s provision.

I want enough to be plenty. Less to be more. And more to be given away.

I can’t buy any of that at the mall. There is no 2-for-1 sale on “Contentment” today. So I’ll keep my car in the garage on Black Friday and resist the temptation to shop. The world’s glitter just can’t measure up to God’s riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
~ Colossians 3:2

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
~ Hebrews 13:5

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
~ Philippians 4:11

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 4:19

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails