image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand?—October ‘10

October booksJust started
1.
The Healer’s Apprentice
     by Melanie Dickerson
     A novel written for teens, set in 1382, but very enjoyable for any age reader.  
     Where I am: “Wilhelm resisted the urge to go after him, to spin him around and make him swear never to try any of his disarming tricks on Rose.” (page 68 of 257)

2. Evidence Not Seen
     by Darlene Deibler Rose
     The true story of an American missionary’s four years imprisonment by the Japanese during World War II.
     Where I am: “The day before, Dr. Jaffray had been taken away, and my heart felt especially heavy: how grievous for Mrs. Jaffray and Margaret.” (page 86 of 224)

Continuing
3. The Holiness of God   
     by R. C. Sproul
     A classic book about the greatness and wonder of God’s holiness.
     Where I am: “The transcendent standard of all righteousness and all purity blazed before his eyes. Like Isaiah before him, Peter was undone.” (Kindle, 25%, Location 570)

4. The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Thérèse of Lisieux
     by St. Thérèse of Lisieux
     Written by a young girl in a monastery in the 1800’s. I’ve almost stopped a couple times when it’s slow, but then she’ll make a statement that grabs me so I’m continuing on.
     Where I am: “But it was always a principle with Thérèse that ‘We should go to the end of our strength before we complain.’” (Kindle, 59%, Location 2427)

Finished from September’s nightstand
5. The Help
    
by Kathryn Stockett
     To everyone who told me this was a great book, you were right! A novel set in the 1960’s in Mississippi, it tells a story of “the help” from both the maids’ perspective and the employers’ perspective. Very insightful.

6. The Grace of God
    
by Andy Stanley
     It wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read, but it’s worth reading. A lot of the material was retelling of Bible stories that I already knew, but his commentary was interesting and helpful.

7. Emma
     by Jane Austen
     Another sweet love story by Jane Austen. I didn’t like it as well as Pride and Prejudice, but I did like it, especially the second half of the book when it picked up speed. The 2010 BBC movie was an excellent adaptation.

8. A Shelter in the Time of Storm: A Meditation on God and Trouble
     by Paul David Tripp
     Oh, this was very good. Wonderful meditations on Psalm 27. I haven’t been able to wrap my mind around it enough to write a book review yet, but it will be coming soon.

9. Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Raising Teens
     by Paul David Tripp
     I’ve already read this several times, but it doesn’t matter. I always learn new things and am reminded of old things that I need to hear not only in parenting my teen, but in keeping my own heart in step with God. Excellent.

What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_* * * 

What books are you enjoying this month?

11 comments:

Janet said...

I'm always impressed by people who're able to read several books at once... I can only manage one at a time.

Glad you liked The Help! Sometimes when a book is hyped I develop impossible expectations, but it's hard to imagine that book disappointing anyone.

morninglight mama said...

Me, too on THE HELP-- amazing book!

Melissa said...

Evidence Not Seen sounds good...I'll have to see if my library has it. And I'm adding that book on raising teens to my list.

I had to put Holiness aside for a week, but I'm getting back to it today.

Barbara H. said...

Evidence Not Seen is one of my all-time favorite books. A young woman did a one-woman presentation of it at our ladies' luncheon a couple of years ago.

A Faithful Journey said...

Great list! The Healer's Apprentice sounds like something I would enjoy!
I just started The Help last night and am hooked! Hoping it continues to stay as good as it is right now! :)
Emma is also on my TBR pile...hoping to get to it soon!

This is my fist link-up for What's On Your Nghtstand! So glad I found it! I love reading about what others are reading!!

Carrie said...

Evidence Not Seen sounds really very interesting!

Need to read The Help...need to read The Help.... (if I keep saying this, it might happen sooner rather than later!)

bekahcubed said...

I'm loving that you put that "Where I am" section in. It's neat to get a little glimpse of how the author writes. Evidence Not Seen sounds good. I have The Help on my TBR list--but unfortunately, that list grows so quickly it seems some things sit on there for quite a while! (I wonder what would happen if I put a cap on my TBR list... Hmm... Nah. I don't think it'd be worth it!)

Nise' said...

I think I am one of the few who haven't read The Help yet, but I plan to remedy that this week!

Tonia said...

I had the same exact feelings about Emma - very good but not as good as P&P! And I agree - the film adaptation was very good.

Cassandra said...

Wow! I'm going to have to check out a few books on your list. Thanks for sharing!

Happy reading!

Trisha said...

Love reading this, Lisa! I especially enjoy Tripp's books, so I'll be adding the Shelter book to my list. I've read Age of Opportunity, and I agree with you that it's one of those ones you read over and over. Since my youngest is just 4 months I might very well have this book memorized, huh? :) Regarding Austen...I've finally read some of her books this year. I know...terrible to have waited so long. I loved Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey made me laugh out loud. My boys thought something was wrong with me. I've still got to read Emma and the others, but I did enjoy the BBC version of Emma this year and the soundtrack is lovely, too! Sorry to be so wordy....books get me talkin'. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails