image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Get safe, then be brave

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21  safety first We asked them last Sunday, as we always do, “Do you have something we can pray about?”

And as they always do, our 5th grade Sunday Bible class came up with a list.

The common denominator almost every week? Safety.

They request safe travels for vacations, for parents’ business trips, for friends on the road. Out of 10 requests this week, 7 included “be safe.”

I’ve been listening hard for “safe.” Two weeks ago, my friend Karen relayed a story to me about safety...do we put too much emphasis on asking to be kept safe, and not often enough emphasis on asking to be brave?

It resonated with me immediately. I heard Him in it.

What do I tell Jeff each morning as he leaves (besides I love you)? Be careful.
To Morgan driving home? Drive safely. 
To my friends in Haiti this week? Be safe.

That’s fine. I’ll continue to. But should I be obsessed with safety?
Haven’t we already arrived there?
Safe? Delivered? SAVED? 

Yes.

But…but…but…
God hasn’t always given me physical safety (I have chronic back pain to prove it).
God hasn’t always sheltered me emotionally (I’ve been stung by major betrayals).
God hasn’t always protected me circumstantially (I’ve lost a baby).

And when each of those losses hit, I didn’t feel safe.

But I was. I was safe to risk living with pain, to risk loving again, to risk another pregnancy.

I may be a scaredy-cat by nature.
But I am a courageous warrior by design.

Earthly safety, while an appropriate concern, is not first. What is? Honoring God. Even when that doesn’t seem safe from down here.

If there’s one place it’s safe to take a risk, it’s from my position in God’s hand.

The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous man runs into it and is safe.
Proverbs 18:10

Whatever happens, I’m His.
Because He’s got me, I can live bravely.
I don’t have to be careful for me. I can live full of care for Him.

Safety first? Yes. Let God save you from Himself. That shows how powerful, forgiving, good He is.

But then live out your safety by being brave.

Have I not commanded you?
Be strong and courageous.
Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed,
for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

* * *

What have you heard God speaking to you lately?

My Walks with Him

7 comments:

Melissa said...

That is one of my favorite passage and oh how God has spoken so much through it...

thanks for sharing!

and I PROMISE i haven't forgotten about sending your CD...long story short I went to P.O. and didn't have the $ to send it! Eeekkk! But it will go out Aug 1st. I feel so bad for the delay, but I promise it will be worth the wait. (Hiding under a rock now!)

Unknown said...

oh I love this. It's funny how our feelings aren't reality. We ARE safe. We can live with great bravery. We have one who is our shield and who goes before us, and directs our path...and yet...I still let myself worry.
Beautiful post.

Debbie Petras said...

What a lovely reminder of where we are truly SAFE; in our Savior's hands. Even if it's scary, when we're in His will it's the best place to be.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Amy Sullivan said...

I really like the idea of asking God for bravery...yes.

Lately, God has been reminding me to accept people where they are.

Dawn said...

Your post today was timely for me. Challenging me to be brave and not crave safety...it hit its mark.

I teach children on Wed. nights and we do weekly prayer requests, too. They are always so sweet.

No one has ever called me a writer before - you are the first. Very gracious of you.

Many blessings,
Dawn

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Yes! To be courageous! Your words here are just that; bold.

Thank you, Lisa!

Liz said...

I like this thinking. I say it (Lord, keep them safe), but I also have reservations about saying it. The prayer should always be first for grace and help no matter the situation. I try to pay attention to how I pray for people. We ALWAYS need the spiritual, but we're often completely focused on the physical.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails