image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Encouragement found me—Friday’s Fave Five

Friday's Fave Five at Living to Tell the Story

When you need encouragement, where do you go?

I frequent these places: the Living Word. Family. Friends. Church.

But sometimes, for various reasons, when we need encouragement the most, we’re least able to go get it.

So sometimes, it has to come to us instead.

It’s been a horrendous week. So when I had to miss one of my regularly scheduled doses of encouragement Wednesday night, I deeply felt its absence. But God knows my needs, and he has hand-delivered his love to me in other ways the past two days.

He never abandons us at our weakest moments.

From among several doses of encouragement he’s sent, here are five.

1. Romans 5 from Linda
God blessed me with a special friendship with Linda awhile back. She prays for me often. Yesterday she left a phone message encouraging me with her love and God’s love, and to tell me to read Romans 5. I did.

2. Potato soup (and more) from Brenda
Brenda didn’t ask if I needed a meal; she told me she was bringing one—pick a day. I feel guilty accepting food from people when I’m not sick, but I felt enormously blessed by one less load taken off me yesterday.

Brenda has also blessed me all year with my spiritual resolution of breathing deeply. Yesterday was no exception.

3. Fishing and food with Barrion
This brother keeps close tabs on where I’m at spiritually. If he goes too long without seeing me, he’ll call to check in. Yesterday he brought his girls over to fish in our lake, and also brought some of his ribs (for a “snack,” he said).

But he also brought encouragement through a listening ear and his love for me and my family.

4. Ed and Sharon’s e-mail
Ed’s dad has Alzheimer’s like my mom. I got this (and more) from him this morning:

…Please forgive my weakness and accept what little strength and encouragement I can give. When I am weakest, He is strongest. About your Mom and my Dad, He must really be strong…

5. My mom’s prayer
A great side-effect of my mom’s recent hospitalization is she was taken off some meds that had made her generally drowsy, so she’s more alert and calling us by name again.

But she also can verbalize more about her physical pains. It’s super tough to hear. Yesterday she kept saying, “Only God can help me now. Please, God, help me.” It made me cry, but it also made me thankful that even in her dementia, at least for now, she still knows the Source. That encourages me.

* * *

Where do you go for encouragement?
When has it been hand-delivered?

We continue to shout our praise
even when we're hemmed in with troubles,
because we know how troubles can develop
passionate patience in us,
4  and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.
5  In alert expectancy such as this,
we're never left feeling shortchanged.
Quite the contrary--we can't round up enough containers
to hold everything God generously pours
into our lives through the Holy Spirit!

Romans 5 (The Message)

Thanks, Susanne, for hosting Friday’s Fave Five.

10 comments:

Jerralea said...

Wow, what a great encouraging scripture that Romans 5 is! It's great your friend left you a message telling you to read it. That motivates me to share scriptures with my friends when I run across one that "speaks" to me.

So sorry, you are walking through this valley! But how neat that your mom still knows who her source is!

God bless you and your family.

Brenda said...

Ed's comment and your mom's prayer made me start singing "Strong Enough to Save" by Tenth Aveue North....

"And he'll break
open the stars to save
those who cry out his name
throwing the winds and waves at bay
He's strong enought to save you"

I thought that fourth line was "The one the winds and waves obey...." That would sound better, IMO. :-)

Dianna said...

Just so you know, dear Lisa, encouragement came to me today through your post. Thank you so much for sharing.

As much as I hate that you have to see and hear your mom suffering so, I can truly understand how it comforts your heart that she still knows the Source from which she gains spiritual strength.

TXDidi said...

It's so hard coping with a parent with Alzheimer's. My mom has dementia brought on by a series of strokes. Many times over the past few years, I've wanted to just crawl into her lap and say, "Could I just have my mom back for a few minutes?" Still, occasionally God gives me a glimpse of the woman she used to be and it is always a blessing. Hang in there.

Kay said...

Lisa,
One of my specific prayers for your mom this morning was that through all of this that she would be able to know that God is with her - so it was encouraging to see your post and hear that she still knows who to cry out to. I was also praying that it would bring her (and you!) peace - but I'm so sorry that she is in so much pain - I know it hurts you to see her go through that. I pray that it will get better...

Love you!

Holly said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pain. I've been facing my own hurt for 1 1/2 years now, and I'm starting to see His hand all through it! Friends like you help me to remember to keep looking for His hand.

Brenda said...

So sorry you had such a hard week but it sounds like you are keeping your eyes fixed on the right things.

It also sounds like you have some wonderful friends who are there for you in these difficult times.

Unknown said...

Sorry you had such a rough week Lisa....but you always have a way of finding the sun in the storm of life!!!! Such special friends you have!!!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Lisa, your FFF never fails to bless me. I hope you know that -- what a testimony.

How He blesses us with friends -- "love with skin on it." He has indeed blessed you.

Praying for you, Lisa. Keep looking with such faith-filled eyes. Happy week ahead.

Susanne said...

I'm so sorry you have had to face such a hard week. It was heartening though to read that God sent you encouragement through out the week. Praying for you, Lisa, that God continues to strengthen your heart when you need it most.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails