image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What to look for in Prince Charming

Little girls dream of splashy weddings. And lots of babies.

And their own Prince Charming.

According to Disney, he’ll be rich, charming, famous, and good-looking. Disney princes

Wake up!

Reality teaches otherwise. There’s something much more significant about a real Prince Charming. And every grown woman should value it: servanthood.

When Jeff washed dishes last night at 9:30, I liked it. And before that, when he brought down a box of heavy schoolbooks from the attic for me, I was impressed. And before that, when he put in a full day’s work on the job so we’d have money in the bank, I admired him.

It works both ways, of course. If I’m a true daughter of Eve, I’m designed to be Jeff’s helper (Genesis 2:18). I’m to serve, too. Marriage creates multiple opportunities for both of us to practice it.

And practice it.

And practice it.

In sickness and in health.
For richer or for poorer.
Whether he’s famous and charming, or NOT.

God sent the model Prince Charming ready to serve (Mark 10:45). He overwhelmed us with it. Back then. Today. Tomorrow. Disney may not get it yet, and we may not even get it fully, but true greatness lies in true serving (Matthew 20:26-27).

The sweetest love excels at extravagant serving.

Maybe one day Disney will catch on.

* * *

Join the community at Holy Experience for four weeks as we consider
The Spiritual Practice of Holy Matrimony.

Walk with Him Wednesday @ Holy Experience

Do you admire those who serve?

Who has served you today? Whom have you served?

6 comments:

Holly said...

That was an awesome perspective! Think I'll go thank my "prince charming" for all that he does for me!

Amy Smith said...

Wow, so true. May we be teaching our daughters (and sons!) what to truly seek in a partner, and may we be that example to them ourselves...

Thanks for this. <><

Anonymous said...

I love your comparison to Disney...so much of the world looks for that outer shell, Lisa. The heart speaks so much stronger, yet is so often unheard.
delighting in His Word, ~ linda

amy in peru said...

ooh. so good. when I see Christ in my beloved is always what I admire most, even when I'm not fully aware of it :)

amy in peru

Young Wife said...

Very true. DH and I have had funny discussions about what fairy tales' underlying messages really are. The cartoon is hilarious.

Melissa said...

YES! That is it isn't it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails