image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

I’ll hold the door (Psalm 84)—Memory Monday

More Memory Monday

Learned last week:
     10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
     11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
     12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!
Psalm 84:10-12

A doorkeeper (v 10) can be literally translated:
stand at the threshold.”

So it’s more desirable to just barely be in the house, sitting at the entranceway, than to be lounging about in the richest of palaces, if wickedness lives there. Chauffeur

  • Would I rather be an assistant teacher in a 5th grade Sunday school class, or hold a prestigious position in the corporate world?
  • Would I rather drive my neighbor’s child to drama practice, or have a personal chauffeur drive me to ritzy places with beautiful people?
  • Would I rather pack boxes of toys this afternoon for needy children, or stay home and veg out?

Hmmm…The last one gets me. I think I’d rather stay home and veg out.

But if God truly withholds no good thing from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11), perhaps he’d rather me use the opportunities he puts in front of me, even if they’re just in the doorway.

It’s in the everyday, ordinary, doorkeeper stuff where the blessings usually lie for me.

I’ll trust him with it (Psalm 84:12). And go pack those boxes.

One day spent in your house, this beautiful place of worship,
beats thousands spent on Greek island beaches.
I'd rather scrub floors in the house of my God
than be honored as a guest in the palace of sin.
Psalm 84:10
(The Message)

* * *

Learning this week:
Nothing new. We’re taking this week to review what we’ve already learned.

Are you memorizing scripture? Join us at Joanne’s for Memory Monday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails