image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

“Shackles – Praise You” – Then Sings My Soul Saturdays

He accused me this week, “I think you have a real problem with constraints.” 

Me? Rebel against constraints? Are you kidding?

I denied it.

Can anybody appreciate structure and organization more than me?
I’m the one who self-imposes a schedule on myself each day.
I’ve voluntarily tied myself tightly to one man only.
I thrive between boundaries.

But I think it through . . . broken chain

I don’t keep my desk and closet and life organized because it binds me.
It frees me to find things when I want them, where I want them, with undue time and trouble.
        I do it because it frees me. 

I don’t live by a calendar because it constrains me. 
It frees me to do the things I want to get done in a day, and opens up a sweet hour each afternoon to sit at the feet of my Lord.
        I do it because it frees me.

I don’t wear the ring because being married to one man limits me.
It frees me to fully love this person in every way – with integrity – with my body, heart, and soul.
        I do it because it frees me.

So
maybe
my
friend
is
right.

Maybe I DO have a problem with constraints. As I should.

Don’t put those shackles back on my feet.
I’m busy dancing with The King!

For freedom Christ has set us free;
stand firm therefore,
and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:1

* * *

Interestingly, I had been listening to this song a few hours before the conversation. It’s in my rotation of favorites. I return to it now.

Shackles_Mary Mary

Shackles
Mary Mary
LYRICS

CHORUS
Take the shackles off my feet so I can dance
I just wanna praise you
I just wanna praise you
You broke the chains now I can lift my hands
And I’m gonna praise you
I’m gonna praise you

In the corners of my mind
I just can’t seem to find a reason to believe
That I can break free
Cause you see I have been down for so long
Feel like all hope is gone
But as I lift my hands, I understand
That I should praise you through my circumstance

CHORUS

Everything that could go wrong
All went wrong at one time
So much pressure fell on me
I thought I was gonna lose my mind
But I know you wanna see
If I will hold on through these trials
But I need you to lift this load
Cause I can’t take it no more

CHORUS

Been through the fire and the rain
Bound in every kind of way
But God has broken every chain
So let me go right now

CHORUS

* * *

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I LOVED this!! All of it, the music, the words, and the message. It just makes me want to dance and sing along praises to Him...thanks for sharing this...Blessings, Debbie

Mocha with Linda said...

Great lyrics!!

Hazel said...

Wow... I was moving my lazy butt today to this song. It's my first time to hear it. I loved everything - the rhythm, the lyrics, the singers, I even like their make-up and jewelry! But most of all thanks for your talk on constraints. I like it the way you did it - brief but descriptive enough, non-condemning and to the point.

Peggy said...

WOW!!! AWESOME...LISA...I LOVE SHACKLES...well, not really...I love the song and being free to dance & sing & praise the LORD! How did I miss you yesterday...I look forward to seeing what you share. YOU KEEP DANCING with the KING! No constraints...free to be...FREE! Many sweet blessings, Lisa!

Unknown said...

I I love love Mary Mary! Thanks for posting this, bringing the song to mind again. Interesting to read that Hazel heard it for the first time. I remember getting excited when I first heard it too. They certainly used autotune better than T-Pain has... well, for a much better purpose.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails