image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Break your traditions

Read Matthew 15 here "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat."

He answered them, "And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?
Matthew 15:2-3

The Pharisees were more interested in looking good on the outside than on obeying God from the heart. Importance was placed on following what was handed down by men.

We each have our own traditions. In my brand of Christianity, tradition is to meet on Wednesday nights for one hour of Bible study. Tradition is to serve the Lord’s Supper every Sunday morning, followed by a monetary collection (including an announcement that this is not part of the Lord’s Supper itself). Tradition is for every person to sing every song together and with no musical accompaniment.

I have no problem with these. I can do these from my heart. But when these traditions of men become crystallized as commandments of God, I have a big problem.

Because I can also use the one hour on Wednesday night with my church family to serve or to pray. I can also commune over the Lord’s Supper on other days of the week. With or without a collection. I can also praise God while I play the piano or strum the guitar or listen to a soloist.

God desires our hearts, not our rules. He wants our worship, not our customs.

When traditions interfere with putting God first, break them.

Lord, help us honor you more than our traditions. We want to worship you from our hearts, even if that includes letting go of our man-made creeds, regardless of how attached we’ve become. Your will be done.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails