image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Oh, poor me!

When I get tired, physically or emotionally, Self-Pity calls me:

Slide down to my familiar nest of comfy sorrow;
got a box of kleenex waiting just for you.

self-pity

My weak self wants to reply “yes”:

Oh, poor me.
I have it so bad.
My situation is grim,
and it won’t get any better.

But, no. It’s a lie.

I am not an “Oh-Poor-Me.”
I am an “Ah-Blessed-Me.”

happy manThat’s the truth. 

Ah, blessed me.
I have it so good.
My situation is full of hope,
and God is making it even better.

So when I’m tired, I need to be still and rest in his presence (Psalm 46:10). When I’m hungry, I need to eat the bread of life (John 6:35). When I’m thirsty, I need to drink the living water (John 4:14).

I have a choice. I can be a drain on myself, looking inward, or I can do what he says, and look upward.

I choose the latter. Because I don’t want to drown in my own self-pity. I want to be strong from my joy in the Lord (Nehemiah 8:10.

When I do what he says, all is well. He takes care of me. He tells me so (Matthew 11:28-30).

Listening to his voice means I’m refreshed, fed, and satisfied. From breathing in his quiet peace. From feasting at his bountiful table. From drinking at his eternal fountain.

Ah, blessed me.

1 comment:

Lisa notes... said...

I ran across this today from Tim Hansel in Through the Wilderness of Loneliness. It fits well here.

"While traveling last summer, our family stopped at a lake for a picnic. The boys and I decided to go for a swim. ...I decided to just float on my back. I completely relaxed--let go--let the water hold me. I was at total peace. I let go of the pain. It seemed like I was 'resting' in the water. The immensity of the lake held me up. I thought of Jesus' words, 'Come to me...and I will give you rest' (Matthew 11:28). It is interesting to note that He didn't say, 'Do this and it will give you rest' or 'Don't do this, and that will give you rest.' He said, 'Come to me...and I will give you rest.' It is an intimate relationship He offers."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails