image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

God is Immutable _ (Attributes of God)





8 ABC’s of God: Immutable

ATTRIBUTE DEFINED
Immutable: changeless; not subject to variation in form or quality or nature

BIBLE VERSES
Job 23:13 But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?
Psalm 102:27 You are the same, and your years have no end.
Ecclesiastes 3:14 I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.
Malachi 3:6 For I the LORD do not change.
Hebrews 6:17,18 So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

CHRIST'S EXAMPLE
Psalm 16:10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
Hebrews 1:11,12 They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end.
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

DIRECTLY TO ME
How am I affected by God’s immutability?
  • It means I’m safe. Because he is stable, the unchanging Rock, I can live my life in a stable way. He’s not a wishy-washy God that would change the game plan mid-stream.
  • It means I have confidence. Because God and his kingdom won’t ever change, I can rest there, knowing that he's going nowhere. He's here for the long-haul.
  • It means I'm free. I can take chances and experiment in life because God has my back, and even when things around me change, he won’t change.
Hebrews 12:27,28 This phrase, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of things that are shaken--that is, things that have been made--in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken.
(Also Psalm 46:1-5)

ECHO IT?
Am we to echo this trait? In some ways, yes. Be unchanging in faithfulness, in love, in joy. Once we get a good thing going, we need to hang on and not change. But too often we’re not the firm foundation to begin with; we’re sinful and weak, so it's good for us to change.

Be thankful that we are capable of change and that he is not.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
1 Corinthians 15:52 ...and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
(Also Philippians 3:21; Psalm 55:19)

FORGIVE ME
So why do I still feel insecure or fearful at times? Is it because I don’t trust his unchanging character? That means I don’t know him well enough. If I really knew who God was, I would totally trust him. Forgive me, Father, for times when I wish that you would change and be different. I thank you that you don’t.

GLORY TO GOD
Father, I praise you for being our fortress. I can’t imagine what a disaster this place would be if you were not immutable. You hold us together and love us unchangingly. We can’t grasp it because we fail in this trait ourselves. Grant that we rely more and more on your unchanging nature, trusting you more fully, and praising you more consistently.

HIS WORDS
Memorize:
Numbers 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

More on God's unchanging nature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome website, I hadn't noticed lisanotes.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the superb work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails