image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Go to the tomb!

She was a little girl, maybe 7 or 8 years old. I noticed her freckles first, as she walked across the Birmingham airport.

But when she turned fully around, I noticed much more. Her face was grossly disfigured, and the freckles were large spots that covered most of her face.

Her shirt bore “Make-a-Wish Foundation.” Heading to Disney World, I presumed. She seemed excited, as any little girl would be. But I wondered at all the pain she had already suffered in 7 or 8 years, and how much more lay ahead.

Now today, one week later at the Orlando airport, there is the same little girl on our returning flight. Now sporting a Mickey Mouse bag and a tired look.

She is talking with her parents. To her mother, she asks, “Will you take me to church tomorrow?” The mother gives an emphatic, “No.” As all children do, she next turns to Dad. She asks him, “But tomorrow is Easter... will you take me to church???”

Again, she receives a curt “No!”

My heart breaks for such little girls who are denied opportunities to go marvel at the tomb. (And for big girls and boys who choose not to.)

woman_sees_JesusWe all have disfigurements and heartaches behind and ahead, and we need our hearts filled with the hope and joy that come from seeing Resurrected Life standing outside an empty tomb.

To feel the earth tremble beneath our feet. To feel heat from brilliant light emanating from supernatural sources. To feel belief.

I wish tomorrow I could take this little girl to church with me.

And let her look fully at at the real Jesus.

And in time, outside of time, let him make all her wishes really come true.

John 3:16; 20:14,16,18

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails