image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Riches, honor, life, ...and chocolate cupcakes (Day 22, Proverbs)

Proverbs 22:4
“The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life.”

God must have gotten mixed up.

When I asked for prayers of healing for my neighbor, I also asked that our family would be good servants to help out his family.

So why am I sitting here eating a chocolate cupcake from their house? And why do I now have a heapin’ helpin’ of chili in my frig and some yummy chicken casserole—from their house?

Instead of us being good neighbors to them, they’re being good neighbors to us. What?

But I’m really not confused by it. And neither is God. I know what’s going on. Because my neighbor and his family are humble people who fear the Lord, they are reaping riches and honor and life, even through illness. They’ve accumulated many friends through the years because of their loving service to others, because of their love for the Lord.

And now it’s reward time. Others are helping carry their kids back and forth to school, picking up groceries, and (this one directly affects me) bringing them meals. So many meals that they have more leftovers than they could ever eat. Thus...you get the picture.

Because we’re tight with our neighbors and we’re all tight with God, he is blessing us all, even in hard times.

I’m still not sure that it’s fair that I’m benefiting from my neighbor getting sick, but I know God blesses us often in the most unexpected ways. Isn’t he the best?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails