image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Sandwich Meat or Sizzling Steak? Pt 1

Everybody is tempted. But the lures are shaped differently to appeal to our differently-shaped desires. The following example is for the temptation of sexual lust. Yet it applies to any cravings outside of God’s designed pleasures. Look for how the shoe fits...

Suppose I am tempted to lust. Some sexual image comes into my mind and beckons me to pursue it. The way this temptation gets its power is by persuading me to believe that I will be happier if I follow it. The power of all temptation is the prospect that it will make me happier. No one sins out of a sense of duty, when what they really want is to do what’s right.

How then do you fight lust by faith in future grace?...Out of all the armor God gives us to fight Satan, only one piece is used for killing—the sword. It is called the sword of the Spirit (Eph 6:17). ...The Word of God cuts through the fog of Satan’s lies and shows me where true and lasting happiness is to be found. And so the Word helps me stop trusting in the potential of sin to make me happy. Instead the Word entices me to trust in God’s promises.

When faith has the upper hand in my heart I am satisfied with Christ and his promises. We do not yield to the offer of sandwich meat when we can smell the steak sizzling on the grill.
~ John Piper, Future Grace

Not a big fan of sandwich meat. I eat it when nothing better is available. Lord, let me see the scrumptious feast you prepare specially for me each day, and settle for nothing less.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails