image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

The smile of Alzheimer’s child

child's smile-2THURSDAY OF THE SECOND WEEK OF ADVENT

It is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty founder was a child himself.
~ Charles Dickens

She came to the wedding on Sunday. Dressed up nice and pretty. Holding on to her husband. She’s always holding on to her husband these days. He doesn’t mind.

He takes care of her fully now. She needs it. He is 80-something. She, too?

I had seen them earlier Sunday morning in Bible class. When they walk in, always together, she follows him. If she wanders to the coffee pot later, his eyes follow her. If she makes a confused stop in front of the cups, he jumps from his chair to help her.

After class, I seek her out for a hug. She has a special place in my heart now. Maybe because of my mom. Because of my dad. I see them both in her and her husband. Two love birds aged in years, but still young in heart.

She smiles at me when I speak, although I’m certain she does not know who I am. Just a friendly face. That’s enough. I tell her I love to see her each week. She seems surprised. I tell her, “You are always wearing a smile and that makes me smile.”

She places a finger on each side of her cheeks and draws her lips up in a smile, and says, “Then I better put one on!” I laugh. She does, too.

* * *

As you give blessings this Christmas,
bless the children of all ages with your smile.

You’ll almost surely get one back.
They’re gifts of Jesus.

Would you please pray a blessing for our blogging friend Sandy?
She celebrates Christmas this year under the shadow of a fresh diagnoses of early-onset dementia for her 46-year-old husband Curt.
Their journey with Alzheimer’s has begun….

My reflections on Alzheimer’s

Every Thursday in December: Unwrapping Jesus

15 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Lovely post, Lisa.

My heart aches for Sandy and her husband.

Bonnie Gray said...

In her memory of Sunday, there is a picture of you smiling and in her heart, a feeling that fluttered by as a moment of joy. It made me happy knowing there are sisters like you looking out to hug others to bring out a smile. Hugs back to you during this first holiday apart from those you love. May God's peace cradle and comfort you.

Unknown said...

Now I'm smiling too! I will definitely watch for opportunities to offer smiles to all.

Sandy@Jesus and Dark Choc said...

Thanks Lisa.....your post made me cry. But it also brought a smile to my face. Thanks for the link and most of all for ALL your prayers and encouragement!!!!!

Lisa notes... said...

Sandy,
I want you and your family to feel supported from as many places as possible. Many people love you, including me!

Kelli said...

I love your writing. You are right a smile comforts even the most restless of hearts. Thanks for sharing this story.

Nikole Hahn said...

Oh no...46-years old? Definitley.

There's a man at our church who took care of his Alzhiemer's stricken wife through thick and thin. It was hard to watch sometimes because his lip would tremble at the burden he carried for caring for a woman who doesn't remember him. She passed a away over a year ago.

Glynn said...

What a beautiful, simple story of love. And you've told it exactly right.

Bobbi said...

Well, I came over to your blog to reciprocate for your lovely comment on my blog and "accidentally" read this post...wow! Very powerful...thank you...my family is walking through this valley with three of my great aunts and one of my great uncles...and it is hard. Thank you for the encouragement this post offers!

Debbie Petras said...

Oh Lisa, you have such a sensitivity to others who experience a trial that you've gone through with your parents. Alzheimer's can be very challenging for the person and those caring for that person. But I love how you are drawn to another who is going through this too. The best advice often comes from someone who has walked in the same shoes. You'd be a great encourager to another.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Sheryl said...

What a beautiful exchange!

Once upon a time I taught the senior citizen's Sunday school class. They spoiled me with love. It's sad (For me) when I go back to visit and find some of them have been promoted to glory. I'm happy for them, though. How could I not be?!?!

Kristy said...

Such a sweet post. My grandmother (Ida) had alzheimers the last 10 yrs of her life. Also her grandmother before her - (Ida). I do worry, as I am her "namesake" (as she used to say) - Kristy Ida, that I will end my earthly life like her and my great great grandmother. I do always smile when I think of her though :)

Anonymous said...

What sweet words you have in sharing this story. It makes me want to rush up to all the older members of my congregation next Sunday to let them know how much I appreciate them. And, I'm praying for Sandy right now.

Lisa notes... said...

Mrs. Georgine went home yesterday. She will certainly be missed by many...including me...

Unknown said...

Sending comfort your way n to her family, and other friends. God Bless You. Thank you for letting us know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails