image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Heavy mercy with light loads

Is your life full of difficulties and temptations?

Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems.

For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.  
James 1:2-4 (Living Bible)

I am grateful for light loads.

But if lifting weights strengthen me, should I be?water challenge

We took this challenge last Sunday. I carried my bucket of water a very short distance. I strained to do it.  carrying water-1

I am thankful I don’t have to do it every day. I am thankful that instead I can barely flick my wrist and have clear, clean water instantly.

But I am not satisfied if I grow wimpy as a result.

Lord,
   Give us grace for heavy loads when we need to grow stronger. 
   Give us mercy with light loads so we don’t fade to weaklings.
   May we give you praise for both.

* * *

How do you stay strong when times are easy?

We’re counting our blessings at Rebecca’s every day in November.
What are you grateful for today?

10 comments:

Trisha said...

Such beautiful encouragement for this Lord's Day, Lisa! I've learned that those times on the mountain are perfect preparation for the times in the valley. How often I've squandered the time, gotten lazy, and then found myself very weak for the trial. What a blessing it is from Him to learn to be diligent no matter where He has us so that we may faithfully glorify Him always. I love this post, friend!

Donnie said...

Those were such powerful words. Thank you for posting it for this Sunday.

Renee said...

Powerful post Lisa...and I love the last question. Good food for thought....God bless.

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

Great devotional! I participated in Blog Action Day a few weeks ago where the focus was on issues with too little safe water in so many parts of the world. I found a fascinating video by World Vision that showed one of two trips a woman had to make every single day to provide water for her family. Praise God, World Vision has helped her village but there are still so many needs and this is another excellent reminder. It gives us a chance to exercise our prayer and giving needs as well. :)

Dena E's Blog said...

Such wonderful inspiration Sweetie!!!
Happy to be visiting others with there hearts for Jesus on this beautiful Spiritual Sunday...
Blessings to you and yours as you trust in The Holy God Almighty...
Hugs Dena

PS: My SS post is @ www.denaesworshipthroughpics.blogspot.com

Saleslady371 said...

What a great verse today and a challenging question. It is good for me to stay in the Word at all times so I'm constant.

Michelle DeRusha said...

What a powerful, impactful lesson!

Charlotte said...

What a great illustration. We all want a light load but we want to be strong. It just doesn't work that way. I am going to the gym in a few minutes to do some exercises to strengthen my body. I neglected any exercise at all that I didn't just have to do for far too long. But of course the Bible says that bodily exercise profits little. Spiritual exercise is far more important. We do need both to live a balanced life though. Thank you for this reminder.
Blessings,
Charlotte

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

Awesome post. The great thing is when our load gets heavy and wears us out, we can come to the Lord and He will take our heavy load and give us His load, easy and light. What a mighty God we serve. God bless, Dr. Bobbi

Joan Hall said...

Hi Lisa - I'm catching up on my blog visits this morning and I missed your post last week.

This is a great analogy. Jesus tells us His burden is light and he will walk along beside us to help carry the load. But I like your words, "but I am not satisfied if I grow wimpy as a result." Often the trials and heavy loads are necessary for us to grow in His grace.

Lovely post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails