image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

For whose sake? Psalm 79—Memory Monday

More Memory Monday Are you memorizing scripture this week? Join us at Joanne’s for Memory Monday.

Learned last week:
Help us, O God of our salvation,
for the glory of your name;
deliver us, and atone for our sins,
for your name's sake!
Psalm 79:9

I used to not get this.

Help me for HIS sake?
Save me from my sins for HIS sake? Yes, for God’s sake.

But the older I get, the more I get it. God is honored when we are helped by him. He is glorified by cleaning us up when we’re dirty.  Nutcracker 

I went to the ballet Saturday night. We watched a friend gracefully dance as the Snow Queen in the Nutcracker; she was beautiful.

Afterwards I told her mother how amazed I was at Elizabeth’s beauty and skill. And the mother was proud. She was honored.

After all, she was the one who paid for years of ballet lessons, who took Elizabeth to and from rehearsals, who instilled in her the perseverance to practice.

So now the mom receives praise for the daughter’s performance.

It’s not perfectly analogous, of course. Elizabeth earned praise, too, not just her parents. But she couldn’t have gotten to this point without her parent’s support.

The flawed human metaphor helps me taste what the perfect Psalm 79:9 can mean. 

When God helps me and delivers me in ways I can’t on my own, the credit doesn’t go to me. It goes to him. When he covers up my sins and snatches me from the rim of hell, I can’t brag about me rescuing myself. It’s on account of God.

So I’ll keep calling to him for help. It’s the best deal around: 
God gets the glory; I get the rescue.

* * *

Learning this week:
    10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
    11  For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
    12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!

Psalm 84:10-12

1 comment:

Karen said...

"God gets the glory; I get the rescue." I love that! I am so thankful for God's work in my life. And it's all for His Name's sake. Wonderful post!

Hope you have a great week!
Karen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails